Friday, October 9, 2009

Countdown to Halloween - October 9th

Cinnamon Pears
This is an old family recipe I got from my Grandma. She would always make them for holiday meals, and now I make them every Thanksgiving and Christmas. They remind me of fall and winter holiday meals with my family, so I thought why not make them for Halloween too. They are made using candy after all, how much more Halloween can you get. These cinnamon pears are so easy to make, and so delicious you’ll want to make them one of your own family recipes.



Ingredients

2 Large cans of pear “halves”

1 Bag of “Red Hots” or “Cinnamon Imperials” candies (It’s like a 6.5oz or 8oz bag)



Preparation

Pour both cans of pears, juice and all into a large pot with a lid.

Add the whole bag of “Red Hots” or “Cinnamon Imperials” to the pot and heat over a medium high heat until the candies have completely dissolved, stirring frequently.

Once the candies have dissolved, remove the pot from the heat and let cool uncovered.

When the mixture is completely cool, cover and place in refrigerator for at least 24 to 36 hours, but 48 hours would be even better.

That’s it, simple.


Tips

The longer they soak in the cinnamon juice the more red they will become. If you’re in a hurry and rush them, they will have white centers.

If you can transfer them to a jar or an airtight container they will have a longer shelf life.

Be careful the cinnamon juice can stain light colored clothing.

Serve as a side item (like cranberry sauce), or as a dessert.

Serve cold, 2 halves is a portion. But you’ll be going back for seconds, I promise.

2 comments:

nana rosie said...

I love to put my cinnamon candies in some apple JUICE & dry ice for a YUMMY, bubbly drink! But I gotta try this pear recipe. Thanks for sharing. Rosie T @ rosy cheeks

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

I love the cooking part of you blog!! Very cool, makes me hungry!!

Cheers!