Sunday, October 18, 2009

Countdown to Halloween - October 18th

ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS

Preheat oven to 250°F.

After removing as much pulp as possible from the pumpkin seeds, place the seeds in a colander in the sink and run cold water over them as you work to remove any remaining pulp. When the seeds are clean, drain them and place between two paper towels to dry.

In a large skillet, sauté 2 cups pumpkin seeds, 2 tablespoons butter or 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut or safflower oil and 1 teaspoon salt. (For an interesting flavor variation, try Morton's Hot Salt or use Seasoned Salt.)

Stir 3 minutes until seeds are well coated with butter.

Spread evenly on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes.

Take a few out to try at this point (watch out-they will be hot so let them cool a bit first!)

Some seeds are larger than others and will take longer to bake.

If necessary, continue to bake 15 minutes longer or until lightly browned.

Place on a paper towel to cool.

4 comments:

suzanne said...

Try as I might, I can't develop a liking for pumpkin seeds :(

But they look good.

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

Cool recipe....but it will seriously cut into my party prep time. Stop tempting me!! :D

BTW - for a brief moment I went insane and thought that I would make your yummy looking pumpkin chocolate chip cookies for the party....with the guest list over 120, two cookies each...I am not good at math, but it only took a moment ....then the voices in my head started screaming at me again. :)

Off to a local bakery.....at least that is where the screaming voices are telling me to go :D

Cheers!

Cheers!

Dane said...

You know, you are finally tempting me, as busy as the next week will be, to turn that pumpkin on my porch into a jack o'lantern and roast those seeds. I'm lazy, so it may not happen ... but I'm so tempted.

I Like Horror Movies said...

I always just soak them then throw them in the oven and hope for the best lol.. I will try to remember to try this one out this year. Id carve ours now but last year the friggin thing rotted in 3 days